Fireplace Safety Info
When enjoying your fireplace, stove or insert, it’s important to remember these basic safety precautions:
• Fireplaces, stoves and inserts, become hot during operation whether they burn gas, pellets or wood. Keep clothing, furniture, draperies and other flammable materials a safe distance away.
• Fireplace glass and other surfaces get extremely HOT and can cause burns if touched. Factory-provided protective safety screens, or aftermarket free-standing screens or barriers help to reduce the risk of serious burns, as they can prevent skin from coming into direct contact with the glass or fire. However, screens also retain heat so touching them is not advised.
• Keep children away from fireplaces, stoves and inserts. All parts of these appliances get extremely hot and should be treated with caution. Supervise children and pets to ensure they stay a safe distance away.
• Fireplaces, stoves and inserts (and their surrounding material) will remain hot for a period of time after being turned off, so caution should be used at all times.
HPBA Fireplace Safety Information
The protective safety screen that is provided with your gas fireplace or insert helps to prevent skin from coming into contact with the glass and should not be removed.